Directions to Bonanza Opal Mine
From Winnemucca, Nevada
- Take Highway 95 north for 33 miles, to Highway 140.
- Turn left and head West toward Denio Junction, about 66 miles.
- At Denio Junction, turn left and continue West on Highway 140.
- After about 24 miles you climb a mile-long grade and, in another mile, you will see several signs for the opal mines in this area.
- Turn left and follow the "Graded Gravel Road" directions below.
From Lakeview, Oregon
- Take Highway 140 east approximately 83 miles into Nevada and the Sheldon Wildlife Refuge.
- When you pass the highway rest area on your right, you are about 1/2 mile from the graded gravel road on your right.
- Follow the directions below from the graded road.
- Once You're on the Graded Gravel Road
Once You Get to Virgin Valley
- Two miles down the gravel road is a FREE campground with a warm spring-fed swimming pool, showers (fed by the same warm water), fresh, clean drinking water, picnic tables, pit toilets, and areas for campfires, tents, trailers, and RVs (no electrical hookups).
- At the campground, turn right.
- In another 100 yards, take the right fork and go 4.5 miles through the Virgin Valley to a signed road for the Bonanza Opal Mine. Travel up this road past the Opal Queen Mine, continuing through the gate.
- Follow the road to your left up to our digging site, where our experienced miners and friendly mine hosts will educate you on finding opals in our large digging area.